Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shadows Chapter 20
Girls Talk



“So are you still friends?” Irissa asked Jalonia.
She couldn’t quite believe that her sister and Frank had broken up. They had been dating for over a year.
“Kind of. But he was talking engagement, for heaven’s sake. I’m not even sixteen. I’m not ready to get engaged. I think he’s panicking because he’s going to College in the fall. Wants me pinned down.”
“Do you still love him?” Irissa asked.
Jalonia looked thoughtful.
“No. I don’t think so. He’s been irritating for a while, being so possessive.”





“So is there someone else?” Irissa asked, raising her eyebrows questioningly.
“Well ... have you seen the new guys that started at school last week?” Jalonia asked.
Irissa peered out from under her fringe at her sister.
“Chad and Kurt?” She asked.

“So you noticed them too! Isn’t Kurt just the cutest?” Jalonia demanded.
“I didn’t notice. I was looking at their bikes,” Irissa admitted.
“I saw them. I thought that you would love them, biker chick!” Jalonia laughed.
“You can have the urges to ride the guy. I’ll settle for riding the bike,” Irissa said deadpan.
“Bitch!” Jalonia slapped her sister jokingly on the arm.





“Are you going to fall asleep here again or are you actually going back to your own bed?” Irissa asked.
“I can’t be bothered moving,” Jalonia replied.
“Then don’t snore again tonight.”
“I don’t snore! You do,” Jalonia protested, scandalised.






“Mum said we can take the car because we slept in,” Jalonia called next morning.
They had missed the school bus yet again.
“You slept in. I was up in plenty of time and I made you both coffee,” Irissa said tartly. "And that was in spite of you keeping me awake all night.”





“Are you going to say that I was snoring again?” Jalonia asked.
Irissa wiggled her eyebrows and smiled slyly.
“Oh, snoring I could have put up with. It was all the sexy moans. ‘Oh Kurt, oh yes...mmm, kiss me again.”
“I didn’t! Say I didn’t!” Jalonia cried.
“I stuck a pillow between us. Didn’t want you thinking I was someone else,” Irissa shook her head tragically. “The girl has it bad."
“Did you put the dresses in the trunk?” Blushing, Jalonia changed the subject.


Rituals




The full moon rituals had been continuing all through the year, in all but the most inclement weather. Tonight, though, the girls were meeting to work for a sick friend.
They sang out the chants that Irissa had taught them, their voices rising in tempo and intensity to build the energy within the circle.




Irissa caught the strands of voice and energy and channelled them into the spiral that passed around the circle and up, forming the cone of power as the chant reached its climax.
Her arms rose slowly from her waist to her shoulders as the tension built until, suddenly she dropped them and let the power fly.






They sat afterwards grounding themselves, sharing the ‘cakes and ale’, in their case using fruit cookies and apple cider.
Jalonia looked at her sister with slight concern. Irissa always put so much into healing spells, and they usually drained her a little, but tonight she seemed very distracted.
“What is it?” She asked.
“The feeling of someone watching has been stronger the last couple of times,” Irissa replied. “We should close the circle now.”




As always after the circle was dispersed they moved to the fireplace and sat chatting.
“We won’t be able to be together as often after the summer break,” Zara complained.
“You’ll be at College,” Jalonia nodded. “Too far to come out here.”




“Are you going to stay in a dorm?” Jalonia asked.
“No. Jack and I have arranged to rent a house,” Zara said.
“Now there’s a relationship for keeps. They’ll be getting engaged soon,” Jalonia teased.
“I don’t know about that, but we are happy for now,” Zara smiled.
“You’re becoming a habit,” Jalonia teased, not unkindly. “You need to try being with someone else.”
“That’s just because she has a new heartthrob,” Irissa sighed.
“It isn’t as if Jack is the only guy I’ve kissed ... and more. But I like being with him,” Zara shrugged.





“There’s been someone else?” Jalonia yelped. “Do tell! Who?”
“You don’t know him. Irissa does. From my old school. We had sex before he went to College. You know his dad, though,” Zara revealed. “Sergey Solarin’s son Ladislaus.”
“Wow. Is he as hot as his Dad?” Jalonia asked, looking from one to the other of them.
“Oh, yes,” Zara nodded enthusiastically.
“He’s okay. We should go. It’s getting cold and the fire’s gone out,” Irissa said, standing up.
They changed back into everyday clothes, packed up the cushions and made their way back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment